Thursday 3 June 2010

New perspectives

I intended to buy a new camera for about a year, but for different reasons - a temporary lack of financial means, the camera I had selected was not available, I was not exactly sure which one I wanted instead, I simply did not give it much priority for a while - I continuously postponed the purchase. Two weeks ago, I decided that it was about time to finally get myself the present I had wanted to buy for a long time. The main reason was the fact that I was not exactly satisfied with most of the pictures we had taken on our last trip to Toraja. So we went to the MediaMart - yes, it exists in Vietnam, and it is doing well as consumerism is by far the country's most popular secular ideology, and electrical appliances the main objects of desire - and had a look at the available cameras. Following my intuition, I chose the Nikon Coolpix P90 - a lovely compact camera with a good lens (24x optical zoom) and a great number of options.

http://www.benmullay.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Nikon-P90.jpg

The result is wonderful. I have rediscovered my former love of photography. Despite my lack of knowledge of its technological aspects, I enjoy making compositions, photographing buildings and daily life, and wandering around looking for interesting images. It has changed the way I look at the city in which I live. Suddenly, Hanoi turns out to be full of hidden gems - a peculiar temple, fishermen in a lake, a vendor on a bicycle - waiting to be discovered by my camera. The camera does not make me forget my antipathy completely, but it does make me rediscover some of the city's hidden beauty, thus improving my overall opinion of the city.

Needless to say, I have not had time to discover all of the camera's options and functions yet, so my pictures are by no means as good as they could (and, hopefully, will) be. But just to give you an indication of what Hanoi looks like in early summer, here are a few of the pictures I have taken so far.

































2 comments:

  1. I sell cameras, and can confirm you made a good choice here, Aike. It's a fine cam, and because it is out of production now, can be found for a fine price.

    The third picture suggests that you found out about using the camera at knee-level, using the swivel screen flipped out. This provides for a very interesting perspective that makes pictures look different from what we see with our eyes. Please, do try and use it more often like that, or at hip or chest level. It's great to photograph people at their eye level or slightly lower, and it's a great feat of this cam :D

    Happy shooting!

    Rodelion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOOOOW. Your pictures make me itchy to travel to Asia again...!

    ReplyDelete